Friday, April 8, 2011

My history with our 900

     Until a few years ago I knew nothing about cars.  Then one day I watched an episode of a British car show called Top Gear.  At first I only watched it because I thought it was very entertaining, but then my interest in the cars that they had on the show began to grow.  Now because of Top Gear I know quite a bit about cars.  It must be said that the cars I do know about are mainly super-cars and that I still don't really know much about the inner workings of any car.
       Around the same time that I started to watch Top Gear my brother Pascal started to race in Rally-x and Hill climbs.  I started to learn more about rally racing because of Pascal.  Since he introduced it to me my enjoyment and knowledge of it has only grown.  One thing that made me really start to get interested in rally racing was when Pascal took me to the New England Forest Rally.  At first I wasn't very exited about going, but after the first day of spectating I couldn't wait for more.      
      About a year ago my brother came to me and asked if I would like to buy a Saab 900 SPG with him.  My fist reaction was no, because I was only 14 and would have to wait two more years before I would be able to drive it.  Pascal then explained to me that it would be a car that we could use for racing and also that it didn't run and would need a lot of work.  Reluctant at first but with ever growing enthusiasm I agreed to pay for a portion of the car and to help work on it. 
      After we bought it we had it towed to where my brother worked.  For the first few months we didn't work on the car, because it was winter and we didn't have a garage to work in.  We decided to wait until summer to work on the car.  Just before summer we found out that our house had been sold and that we would be moving.  We also found out that our new house would have a two car garage that we could use to work in.  So we delayed working on the car until we moved, thinking that it would be best to wait  until we could permanently set up shop in our new house.  By the time we moved into the new house it was nearly September and me and Pascal both had to go back to school.  When Pascal came back for winter vacation we started to work on the car.  At first it was just Pascal who worked.  Slowly I began to work as well, and by the end of winter vacation we had stripped most of the car.  

After Pascal left for school I tried to put in a few hours each week on things that he had left for me to do.  Now with time running out he's been coming home every weekend so that we can get more work done.  So far we've made some good progress and will hopefully complete it before the first event of the season.  

No comments:

Post a Comment