Thursday, June 30, 2011

Post Mt. Washington Thoughts



Im pleased to report that the car made it to, and home from Mt. Washington in one piece, and it performed very well along the way. I was more than happy with the cars power, and it handled nicely. There is definitely room for me to grow with this machine.....

To get to Mt. Washington and experience no major issues took a lot of preparation and time getting the car competition ready. I certainly wasn't the only one who worked on this project, and it would not have been successful without the help I received. My younger brother Marcel worked on this with me from the beginning, and put in a huge amount of time and effort. Without his help I can't say the car would have been ready for Mt. Washington, or even this season. While I had the prospect of competing with the car as motivation during the build process, Marcel still has some waiting to do, yet he was always willing to help. He has definitely earned his 50% share in this car.
One thing that held us back from starting this project when we first acquired the car was the lack of a dedicated work space. Without the full use of my Mom and Dad's garage spaces for the past 7 months this would not have been possible. (I promise it will get cleaned this weekend.) We also received some tremendous support from our friends at Charles River Saab. The wheels they provided looked great on the car, and I was very happy with the way the set of Dunlop tires performed. The Charles River Saab tent and 9-3X also helped make our paddock space much more interesting and helped to draw some great attention to our car. I also have to compliment the parts department for how helpful and knowledgeable they are. These guys really know there way around Saabs and the parts they require. Having dealt with other parts departments in the marine industry I know that that is not always the norm.

I've mentioned Peter Maitland and Mike Clancy on here before, but they deserve a big thank you as well. Peter and Mike, both technicians at Charles River, are responsible for getting our transmission into tip top shape, but they were also very helpful answering questions and providing parts from their own personal collections. Among other things, I was amazed when Mike produced some brand new brake lines and brass bulkhead fittings for a C900.


Here is a video from Mt. Washington from the second run on race day, a time of 8:20.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUSexB4DuWg

No comments:

Post a Comment